Royale de Champagne
The Cristallerie Royale De Champagne was founded in 1678 during the reign of Louis XIV. Colbert, one of the great factory developers during the century, encouraged master glass-makers to install themselves in France by ‘recruiting’ craftsmen from Venice, the capital of the art of glass-making. In 1666, craftsman Jean-Baptiste Mazzolay obtained the privilege of establishing the “Royal Crystal Factory in Bayel” and was supplier to the Royal Court up until 1727.
Its descendants continue to ensure that the Cristallerie Royale De Champagne is known worldwide. The work is fruitful, winning awards in Brussels in 1958 and again in New York in 1960. Its success is immense; General de Gaulle, President Kennedy, the King of Morocco, the King of Arabia and art enthusiasts figure among some of the glassworks most loyal clients. Since 2006, the factory has been part of the Daum-Haviland Group. It still preserves its respect for the tradition of hand-made crystal today.